Zion UCC Suspends In-Person Worship through the summer.
Zion UCC’s Council unanimously decided to extend the cancellation of in-person worship for the remainder of the summer. See a personal message from Pastor Beth, Sam, and Sammy below:
This decision was made in response to a recommendation from the UCC Heartland Conference and the Central Southeast Association. Read the letter here. We do this out of love for our congregation and our community. We believe that this response, which may seem extreme to some, will be part of a community-wide effort that will ultimately save lives
Here’s what this means for us right now:
- No Sunday worship in-person. Council will continue to re-evaluate. We will keep you posted here and via Facebook and Zmail.
- No community meetings held in the church facilities: no Lab Small Group, no TOPS, no Arena Fair rehearsals, no Shabbat Yeshua, no office hours for Pastor Beth. We want to keep the building locked down as much as possible to make sure it’s not contaminated when we are ready to come back.
- When worship resumes, we will follow our health plan. View and download it here.
Here’s what you can do:
- Continue to practice common sense personal protection, especially washing your hands and staying home when you’re sick.
- Set up online giving to minimize the disruption of Zion’s financial commitments. You can give securely here. (Or mail your checks even though you’re not coming to church. We are still checking the mail.)
- Join Pastor Beth on Sunday at 10 a.m. for a Facebook Live sermon at https://www.facebook.com/UCCDelaware/
- Listen to the sermon podcast later at http://zionucc.org/blog/
- Join us for Community Bedtime Prayers via Zoom or Dial by your location/time zone at 8pm EST
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US
+1 301 715 8592 US
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
Meeting ID: 211 215 049
- Stay in touch with one another via phone, email, and text. Don’t let anyone get lonely.
- Come back to church when we resume worship!
We know how it feels to be anxious and overwhelmed in a world where it feels like so much is wrong.
The Bible says that God is love and that love drives out fear, but some people are afraid of God, or at least afraid of church. Can a church really be a spiritual community, one that is truly open to all, a place to learn and grow and find peace and make a difference?
At Zion UCC we are discovering that life is meaningful, even when it's not easy. We are finding our purpose as we respond to God's invitation to "do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with God” in ways big and small.
For us, this means that our connection to the Divine is intrinsically connected to how we treat other people and how we react to injustice in the world. Together we are growing deeper in our faith, more compassionate in our relationships, and bolder in our work to right wrongs. As we do this together, we really are finding lasting joy and participating in the healing of the world. And it will be even better if you join us. No matter who you are, or where you are on your journey, you are wanted here. Give us a chance to show you what a difference church can make for you.